Looking for a fabulous STEM activity? The Great Backyard Bird Count is this weekend, February 14-17, 2020.
The Great Backyard Bird Count is one of our favorite child-friendly citizen science projects. All you and your family need to do is count the birds you see over 15 minutes and then report your finding via the e-Bird app. Although it is called "backyard," you may count birds anywhere they are found, including parks, preserves, or fields. There is plenty of information and instructions about getting started at the website.
Are you a bird photographer? There is also a photo contest.
Looking for children's books about birds?
1. Check out Taking Flight: a List of Children’s Books About Bird Migration at Science Books for Kids
2. The list of children's books for young birdwatchers at Science Books for Kids
You may also want to try:
- The bird activities category here at Growing with Science
- Our For the Birds Pinterest page.
- Printable bird count sheets and activity suggestions at Share It! Science
- The Cornell Lab FeederWatch Project for even more educator resources.
Are you planning to participate in The Great Backyard Bird Count? What kinds of birds do you see in your backyard? We'd love to hear.