Just in time for Women's History Month we have a new middle grade book, Marie Curie for Kids: Her Life and Scientific Discoveries, with 21 Activities and Experiments by Amy M. O'Quinn.
Right up front I have to say that I love Chicago Review Press books. They combine two of my favorite elements: an in-depth biography and hands-on activities to reinforce learning. Those are a powerful combination on their own. Add that the title is about an outstanding woman scientist, and it is a must have.
Marie Curie was indeed a groundbreaking scientist. Some of her accomplishments include:
- Studied radioactivity (she coined the term)
- First woman to win a Nobel Prize
- First person to win two Nobel Prizes
- Only person to win Novel Prizes in two fields: chemistry and physics
Author Amy M. O'Quinn delves deeply into Marie Curie's life using many primary-source materials. I have read other biographies of Marie Curie, but this one has details I had not seen before. The author's passion for her topic comes through clearly in her writing.
The 21 hands-on activities range from learning about Poland (Marie Curie's birthplace) to chemistry and physics experiments, such as:
- Build an atomic model
- Make a compass with magnets
- Explore Charles's Law using soap clouds
The back matter is also packed with information, including other resources to explore, a glossary, selected bibliography, and index.
Although Marie Curie for Kids is written for middle grade children, it has the depth to make it a wonderful resource for educators as well. Pick up a copy for Women's History Month, STEM Friday, or just for fun and inspire a young reader today!
- For more hands-on chemistry activities, try our previous posts:
- Chemistry Week: 5 days of chemistry fun
- Exploring chemistry of rust
- 25 Items for a Chemistry Activity Box
2. See our growing list of children's books about women scientists at Science Books for Kids.
Age Range: 9 - 12 years
Publisher: Chicago Review Press (November 1, 2016)
Disclosure: This book was provided by the publisher for review purposes. Also, I am an affiliate with Amazon so I can provide you with cover images and links to more information about books and products. As you probably are aware, if you click through the highlighted title link and purchase a product, I will receive a very small commission, at no extra cost to you. Any proceeds help defray the costs of hosting and maintaining this website.